Paid Off Car But Yet To Receive Title

1,512 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Flaith
Retired Principal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mercedes has record of sending the documents to the DMV, but we have yet to receive title. It has been a couple months since we paid car off. Do we complete the paperwork as if were a lost title?
Thanks for any help!
AgResearch
AG
Reach back out to the original lienholder. Some things happen but it's still their responsibility to get it taken care of.
Retired Principal
AG
AgResearch said:

Reach back out to the original lienholder. Some things happen but it's still their responsibility to get it taken care of.

Thanks! Did not mention in the OP, but did that. They have record of sending documents to release title to us. They then sent us a letter to take to DMV to assist. Just want to make sure I'm completing right DMV form.
akaggie05
AG
Every time I've paid a car off I end up receiving the title in the mail. No DMV involvement. This seems strange?
Retired Principal
AG
akaggie05 said:

Every time I've paid a car off I end up receiving the title in the mail. No DMV involvement. This seems strange?

Same with us with other cars purchased. Comes in mail. Not this time, so I'm pretty sure we need to treat this like a lost title.
EMY92
AG
Call your lender, the last time I paid off a vehicle, they forgot to mail the title. I called and had it 2 days later.
CanyonAg77
AG
Retired Principal said:

AgResearch said:

. They have record of sending documents to release title to us. They then sent us a letter to take to DMV to assist. Just want to make sure I'm completing right DMV form.

Sending documents to release title?

Unless things have changed, the lender has the title in their hot little hands.

Its a physical piece of paper and it is in their files somewhere.

Tell them to quit screwing around, find it, and send it
Tim Weaver
Who pays off a car? You lolpoors should be rolling that into your next car loan so you can be driving a 200k dollar white ecoboost!

But seriously, the lender has your title.
Rexter
Lender will have the blue title, and should sign the release before sending it to you. As soon as you get it, go get a fresh blue title without the release. If you don't do that, and you lose the title, it will be extra legwork to replace it, since the lender will have to sign the release on the new title.
KaneIsAble
AG
From the DMV? Never thought about this before.
Rexter
KaneIsAble said:

From the DMV? Never thought about this before.

Tax office where you handle title transfers.
Retired Principal
AG
Lender said they sent title. Title never came in the mail, so therefore I'm treating this as a lost title. You can go in person to a regional DMV office or you can mail a form, along with other supporting documents to the Witchita Falls office. Keep you posted.

Didn't even need to start a thread. Google is not hard.

https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/files/form_files/VTR-34.pdf
CanyonAg77
AG
What am I missing?

All this talk about DVM and tax office? They don't have your title. Your lender does. It's no different than if they had the keys. They need to deliver the keys to you, not tell you to go to a government office to get another set.

Keep after your lender. They are the ones in the wrong, as well as the ones in possession of your title.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Lender said they sent title. Title never came in the mail,

Okay, in that case, yes, you have to go to the state and get a new title.

Personal opinion: They never mailed it. They either lost it or can't find it, and are making you do the leg work and spend the money.
Retired Principal
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Lender said they sent title. Title never came in the mail,

Okay, in that case, yes, you have to go to the state and get a new title.

Personal opinion: They never mailed it. They either lost it or can't find it, and are making you do the leg work and spend the money.

You are probably right. And the kicker is this is a new car involved in that Central Texas hail storm last week. Unlikely, since it is a new car, but what if insurance totals it. I need the title for that.
Centerpole90
AG
whoops. Didn't read far enough down. Sorry, proceed.
Flaith
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

What am I missing?

All this talk about DVM and tax office? They don't have your title. Your lender does. It's no different than if they had the keys. They need to deliver the keys to you, not tell you to go to a government office to get another set.

Keep after your lender. They are the ones in the wrong, as well as the ones in possession of your title.
I haven't updated my spreadsheet recently, but I believe you don't live in Texas. Here is how paying off a new car in Texas worked for me recently.

When we paid off wife's car last year, we never received title. Texas uses e-Title, so when the lien is paid off, the lienholder sends a digital request to the TxDMV to release the title. In our case, they apparently mailed the title to our former address (originally used when buying car) despite the fact that we updated our address in the TxDMV system and on NMAC.

I had to send in a request for a certified copy and a check for like $6. Received certified copy in the mail a week later.
CanyonAg77
AG
CanyonAg77
AG
Live in Texas, last vehicle we bought was about 9 months ago. Got a paper title, in fact got two, as the first had an error.

This was a cash sale at a dealership in Dawson County, Texas. So perhaps the e title is for newer cars, or maybe some counties are different
Flaith
AG
Ours was for a new car, so this tracks. All used car transactions I've done have involved a paper title coming either from the lienholder or the previous owner as you mentioned.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.