question for those who have traveled all over...

1,760 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by bthotugigem05
Logos Stick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been to Rome, Venice, Florence, London and Paris....

Paris by far was my favorite city! I hope to go back again one day. The others, not as much, especially London. I do think it would be cool to go hang out in Tuscany by the coast perhaps.

What would you recommend next?

I was thinking Asia, maybe Bangkok.
scd88
AG
Croatia. If I had funds and time, I'd spend a couple of weeks there between beach towns and islands. Fun for me is not doing much in a nice place with a beverage. I don't need to see a bunch of stuff.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Bangkok is very hot, crowded and air quality is very poor. Lots to do but you have to put things aside to really enjoy it. I'm currently in Samui, my favorite island in Thailand. I only spend a day or two in BKK then head elsewhere.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

Bangkok is very hot, crowded and air quality is very poor. Lots to do but you have to put things aside to really enjoy it. I'm currently in Samui, my favorite island in Thailand. I only spend a day or two in BKK then head elsewhere.

This.

BKK is the spot you spend the first 2-3 days of your trip because the planes come in at midnight and the flights to the fun places don't leave until the next morning. Go see some temples, take a river cruise, then get to a beach somewhere.

Asia is way different than Europe. Don't let that dissuade you, but it is different.
chick79
AG
Went to Budapest last year. Loved it. Also, closer to home is Vancouver. This may be the nicest city in North America. Late this fall we are going to Prague and then hitting the German Christmas markets and then end up in Paris.
arrow
AG
For Europe, I would add Dublin and Munich to your list. They are my two favorites along with Florence (Tuscany). I'm visiting Spain later this month so I'm hoping for a new favorite. Planning Tokyo and Kyoto next year.

I prefer Paris to London, but I did have a great time in London last year with my kids.
barbacoa taco
AG
Europe:

Madrid - probably the most underrated big city in Europe. love this place.
Barcelona
Munich
Amsterdam

Asia:

Bangkok - yeah it's dirty and nasty and crowded but it's a blast. there's something really cool and special about this city. and the food is incredible.
Tokyo
Singapore - much cleaner and nicer than anywhere else in Asia but also less character than a place like Thailand
Vietnam - never been but dying to go one day
Tumble Weed
My two favorite Euro destinations are Capri, Italy and Vex in Switzerland.

I have been to many of the larger cities and prefer the smaller places.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Hong Kong / Tokyo are the most spectacular cities in Asia, and maybe the world.

Singapore is the best food city in the world, imo.

Amsterdam-Den Hague

Vienna, Zurich, Luzerne, Basel and Geneva

Croatia as mentioned above. Zadar is a great place to visit with ferry service to other regions of Croatia and Italy, namely Ancona and Venice.
wessimo
AG
BKK is fine for a day on the way to somewhere like Angkor Wat or Luang Prabang.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Here's your ideal RTW itinerary:
Tokyo
Hong Kong
Sydney or Perth
Singapore
Mumbai enroute to Goa
Dubai
Amsterdam
WhoHe
AG
Not sure if you're a big city person - I'm absolutely not, but I surprisingly loved Paris. Maybe if we have that in common, you'd like these:

1.a The Lauterbrunnen Valley in Switzerland
1.b The Cinque Terra in Italy

The biggest mistake most people make with these two spots is not visiting long enough - you can easily spend a solid week in these areas, assuming you like hiking, exploring, eating and drinking.
TXCityAggie
AG
I love Bangkok. I'm staying for 3 weeks this summer.

I used to live in Siem Reap, Cambodia so spent a lot of time traveling in the region. Favorite spots would be Bangkok, Luang Prabang, HCMC, Hoi An, and any Thai island.
Danger Mouse
AG
Not sure your traveling taste and budget, but Switzerland (any canton,) would be high on any list that I recommend.
Class of '91 (MEEN)
Widgetlover
AG
I agree that the older I get, I want to not be in the big cities, but in the smaller cities. Monaco was wonderful; perfect size and I had the absolute best meal of my entire life while there.
bthotugigem05
AG
Get out and see some smaller cities:

Ghent, Belgium
Old Salzburg, Austria
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Lille, France

You've been to some amazing metro areas, it's probably time to try some further-flung places.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.