Portal Season Has Started

66,668 Views | 626 Replies | Last: 53 min ago by pierceshipp
NativeAg3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's 3 incoming freshmen coming as well
LawHall88
AG
NativeAg3 said:

The one from Houston is almost certainly a walk on.
AgEfan
NativeAg3 said:

The McDermott kid is walking on hence why TexAgs or A&M athletics department hasn't mentioned him at all.
NativeAg3
AG
He would become the greatest walk on in Aggie basketball history (not saying I don't think he will be a walk on, but he will certainly get a scholarship at some point in his career)
EliteZags
AG
I see him ending up the 2nd greatest walk on behind Jaelyn Lee
NativeAg3
AG
I still don't see how he endless praise for Lee, I haven't seen anything that has led me to believe that he'll be a great player
bobinator
AG
That's why Zags is Elite
EliteZags
AG
just like we hadn't seen anything from Jaxson Robinson and Obaseki for 2 seasons, and redshirted a 3* QB from Kerrville
pierceshipp
AG
there's no way we could snag Arthur Kaluma right!?
NativeAg3
AG
To be fair both the obaseki and Robinson were very highly rated recruits, and being a 3 star is nothing to scoff over. Lee doesn't even have a 247 page at all
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
NativeAg3 said:

He would become the greatest walk on in Aggie basketball history (not saying I don't think he will be a walk on, but he will certainly get a scholarship at some point in his career)

I am excited about getting McDermott! I think Buzz knows we are going to have a large number of scholarship spots open up next year and would not be surprised if he essentially promised one to this relatively highly rated (top 150) PWO.

The kid is reportedly strong academically and is a double double machine - but at a 20/20 pace rather than just 10/10.

See: https://guyvlewisaward.org/

Note some of the prior winners.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
LawHall88 said:

AgEfan said:

It's means being on the team.

Well then we are back to MarcAg's question, 8 returning players + 3 transfers + 2 incoming freshman = 13 scholarships. Something has to give to add another player. So maybe we have a player who is converting into a graduate assistant?

Perhaps, just like with the case of the McDermott incoming freshman PWO, we might put together an enticing NIL package and compete to get one more player without the need to have another scholarship available.

In that case, I would think it might be for a graduate transfer- but I am not aware of any rules that don't allow an undergraduate to transfer to a school and play without an athletic scholarship.

I'm still hoping for JT Toppin, the kid from Dallas who was Texas 4A POTY in 2023 and MWC Freshman of the Year playing for New Mexico this past season - averaging almost a double double - and still developing.

But not sure we can compete for him as I suspect the price will be very high.
MarcAg
AG
pierceshipp said:

there's no way we could snag Arthur Kaluma right!?

He would be the perfect piece that we need. But he can go anywhere, so would be tough. He knows Manny and Wade though, but still hard to imagine we can get him. Plus he's still exploring nba as a possibility.
pierceshipp
AG
Eluding to billy thinking we get one more my money is on

Brandon Gardner
Arthur Kaluma
Trazarien White

No particular order
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
pierceshipp said:

Eluding to billy thinking we get one more my money is on

Brandon Gardner
Arthur Kaluma
Trazarien White

No particular order

All three appear to be strong and likely potentially significant contributors when I looked up how they played at previous stops.

First two on the list, though, have only one year of eligibility left - while White has two years.

For that reason alone, would prefer White out of those three.
pierceshipp
AG
Gardner would have 3 years im pretty sure
MarcAg
AG
pierceshipp said:

Gardner would have 3 years im pretty sure

4. He redshirted this year.
LawHall88
AG
Quote:

As he prepares for his first season at Arkansas, John Calipari said he won't stack his rosters with an abundance of talent, which was his tactic during his lengthy tenure at Kentucky.

On the latest episode of his "Ways to Win" podcast with former Oregon State head coach Craig Robinson this week, Calipari said the turnover in college basketball in the transfer portal era has changed his philosophy on assembling rosters.

"You may think I'm crazy, but I told my staff I only want to have eight or nine guys," Calipari told Robinson, who is now executive director of the National Association of Basketball Coaches. "They're leaving anyway, and why would I develop a kid for someone else? Why would I do that?"
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/40115234/amid-portal-era-calipari-hints-limiting-arkansas-roster-8-9-guys
GrayMatter
AG
I understand that sentiment, but if the injury bug hits your team you're screwed.
NativeAg3
AG
Some studs on that list, definitely gives me hope for the future after we lose the majority of our team next season!
Know Your Enemy
AG
LawHall88
AG
It's called a "Marfo" when a player transfers back to a team he previously played on based on Kevin Marfo, who transferred from Quinnipiac to Texas A&M and back to Quinnipiac, and is believed to be the first player to transfer back to a previous school.
Method Man
Can we get Jaxson Robinson to Marfo?
pierceshipp
AG
Billy. How can you say "trust me bro" and just leave us there. We need MORE!!!
MarcAg
AG

That's more than what I was told our entire available basketball NIL was last year.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Yep. Now that players can get paid without having to hide it, can transfer whenever they want with no penalties, next step is to sue to remain on college teams as long as they want. Stating how it is not fair they are forced to give up a nice paying job after an arbitrary 4 years.

Just imagine a roster with a bunch of 30+ year olds on it and how Buzz will have to adapt his 'shaping young men' courses.
LawHall88
AG
[url] [/url]
AggieCrew44
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Yep. Now that players can get paid without having to hide it, can transfer whenever they want with no penalties, next step is to sue to remain on college teams as long as they want. Stating how it is not fair they are forced to give up a nice paying job after an arbitrary 4 years.

Just imagine a roster with a bunch of 30+ year olds on it and how Buzz will have to adapt his 'shaping young men' courses.
Every organization in the world is allowed to have eligibility rules.

I can't practice medicine if I don't meet the requirements to do so by the medical board

I can't play high school sports because I don't meet the requirements to do so

Ncaa sports are no different
MarcAg
AG
LawHall88 said:

[url] [/url]

Feels like a guy we reached out to 6 weeks ago when he went into the portal because we reach out to everyone. He can shoot, but just doesn't seem like a guy we would add. But I'm just guessing as I don't see him getting much playing time here.
EliteZags
AG
tho appears to possibly have 2 seasons eligibility with medshirt and covid year
pierceshipp
AG
https://instagr.am/p/C6_XcOZMWSL

Trazarien White is gone
pierceshipp
AG
I'm starting to wonder is Wesley Yates is an option

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.